Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mysteries of Pittsburgh


I am visiting Pittsburgh this week on business. I was uninformed and sadly had prejudged this city. I thought the only thing that was noteworthy about Pittsburgh was the fact that it is the Steeler's town.

This is a really cool city. I have the pleasure of a pitt native guide me through the city and i am really seeing it in a different light. Here are some neat facts about Pittsburgh.

  • Pittsburgh turns 250 years old this year.
  • The Cathedral of Learning - the centerpiece of the University of Pittsburgh is a remarkable building.
Standing at 535 feet (>163 m)[4], the 42-story Late Gothic Revival Cathedral is the tallest educational building in the western hemisphere and the second tallest educational building in the world. (Moscow State University's main building in Russia is the tallest.)
  • Pittsburgh has the second most funiculars (active and inactive) of any state or province in the world (Valparaíso Chile has the first)
I am sure there are many more things cool about this city - I am just starting to scratch the surface :-). Yes, the title is a nod to michael chabon.