Friday, May 30, 2008

Are you a product manager - do you have this trait?

Through a pretty winding (web) road I came upon this blog post. The title says it all - "Strong opinions, Weakly held". I think that is my personality by default. The strong may be replaced with passion in my case :-) Often times in the past I have encountered people who were annoyed with the fact that I changed my opinions. It took me a while to understand that this is not a common operating model for a lot of people.

I would hypothesize that this is a pretty key personality trait if you want to succeed as a product manager. If you do not have passion or strength behind your opinions then your endeavors will fail at the first speed bump you encounter. On the other hand if you do not have the humility and courage to hold on to them weakly, you will find yourself leading battles not because you are fighting for the right cause but instead you are fighting because you want to be right. A big difference :-).

p.s In a lot of instances, people were annoyed with me for the right reasons but i am getting better ;-)

No comments: