Thursday, November 27, 2008

Random thoughts on recent events


The ongoing attacks in Bombay got me unsettled. Below is a top 10 listcountries by population categorized for the four major world religions.As you go through the list, ask yourself two questions -
  1. Do you see that country as an aggressor or a victim?
  2. Do you consider that country as having bright future or goingdownhill?
Why is that?



Hindu Christian
Islam
Jewish
Nepal
USA
Indonesia
USA
India
Brazil
Pakistan
Israel
Mauritius
Mexico
India
Russia
Guyana
Russia
Bangladesh
France
Fiji
China
Turkey
Argentina
Suriname
Germany
Iran
Canada
Bhutan
Philippines
Egypt
United Kingdom
Trinidad and Tobago
United Kingdom
Nigeria
Brazil
Sri Lanka
Italy
China
Germany
Bangladesh
France
Algeria
Ukraine



I was trying to look for patterns across these countries. I did not trytoo hard and gave up after a while but during the process I ended up atthe "human development index". According to Wikipedia,apart from Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh all the other countries listedin the top 10 Hindu list below, have a higher HDI score than India. Iwas born and raised smack dab in the heart of Indian middle class andnever would have guessed that the UN thinks Guyana is a better placefor me to be born than India. Then again no one person can representthe country of a billion people. Just something for me to keep in mindbefore I try to pretend like I understand what motivates people to doseemingly barbarous acts.



Sources:

Posted by email from Staysmall's posterous

No comments: